Tuesday, February 15, 2011

LONG overdue

This evening I was reading a letter from my wonderful cousins back home (thanks for the Valentines day package Maass family!) and realized it has been far too long since I updated everyone on life on the other side of the pond.  Partly because I want to include pictures and my cord has vanished for the time being, and partly because of my laziness,  Spain has only added to my pre-existing laziness (I blame the siesta.)  Anyways,  time to bring you all up to speed.

As many of you know my cousin Tony has been staying here with me in Huelva and we have been having lots of fun together!  He just left last week for his tour de Europe and won't be back for a month and I already miss him dearly.  But he didn't leave before we got to do and see some pretty cool things.  The weekend before he left we rented a car (again)  and this time drove out to the countryside.   While Huelva city is write on the port and is very industrial, and lets face it,  pretty ugly,  the countryside of Huleva is beautiful.  We drove to a city called Arecena, famous for its ham, hillsides, hiking and caves.  Tony and 2 of my friends spent the weekend in a bungalow in the beautiful foothills of Arecena.  Yes, I said foothills.  In Spanish they are called "los cerros de Huelva"  directly translated "the hills of Huelva."  Well as a Minnesotan when I think hill I think of the slight incline in our backyard we use to use as a hill for crocodile mile,  not exactly what i'm referring to here.  This translation is hard for me, and other minnesotans I imagine, because this type of landscape doesn't exist where we are from.  But this town is literally tucked away in beautiful rolling foothills of Andalucia (for those Friends fans, no I was not backpacking through the foothills of Mt. Tibidabo,  that is in Barcelona, not Andalucia, although between Tony and I we may have worn out that quote.)  We also got to see the most incredible caves ever.  Huge underground chambers with pools and stalegmite/tites.  They were incredible!  And they are just right underneath the city.  Even though it wasn't allowed, we snuck some pictures.  One of my favorite things about Arecena is that they love their ham!  There is an ancient castle on top of one of the hills that is barely preserved and is basically in ruins, but they have an entire museum dedicated to ham.  It's the "museo de jamón" and yes we went to it.  The king?  Not important.  We need to dedicate an entire building to jamón!!!  I just think it is too funny, they are obsessed with their pigs.  We did eat some excellent ham that weekend though.  I'm starting to really love it.  That and olives, my taste buds are expanding so much.  Driving home we stopped at several other pueblos and got to see some amazing views.  It was a great weekend.

That next week Tony said goodbye and headed off to Italy, and the rest of his Europe tour.  The piso is quiet without him.  I really loved having him here.  I mean I don't even know the last time just Tony and I got to hang out.  I think it might of been during the filming of Elfie the elf (If you don't know what that is, i'm sorry.)  Other than that life here is pretty normal.  Well as normal as possible living in southern Spain.  After January things just started to fall into place.  I didn't feel like I was "adjusting"  to life here anymore,  I'm adjusted and just enjoying living.  I've come to terms with the slower pace of life, and no longer feel guilty for not constantly being busy or having something to do.  I've gotten pretty good and taking my time and just enjoying what i'm doing in the moment instead of worrying what comes next, which is really what the Spanish live is all about.  Work to live instead of in America where it's live to work.  My mom thinks I'm a brat and just being lazy, but i'm just living another culture.

School is excellent as always.  Doesn't cease to surprise me and make me laugh.  It was one of my students birthdays a while ago and instead of bringing sweats or cookies she brought birthday sandwiches.  I actually laughed when my teacher told me.  All the students stood in line to pick out their treat from the tray of handmade (with the crust cut off) sandwiches.  Ah Spain. . .  The 6th graders are starting a play for "Andalucia day"  (a day in which they celebrate their Andalucia heritage) and it's about Pablo Picasso.  A lot of it is in English so I switched my schedule around so I could help out with that.  I just can't get enough plays at this school!  My second graders are learning a Flamenco dance for the program and I volunteered to help with that as well.  Watching second graders dance is one of the cutest things every.  After the first day of helping/learning the dance with them they informed me that I danced better than the teacher.  Untrue, but flattering all the same.  And my 5th graders are currently working on a music video for their art time.  It's to a song that was for the world cup called Wave Your Flag.  It's in English and Spanish and the Spanish part is sung by a famous Spanish singer David Beisbol.  They kids are having a blast and i'm really enjoying helping/ goofing around with the kids while planning it.  It's going to be adorable, i'll try to get a copy of it so you can see it.

Well I think that pretty much brings us up to date.  Life here is great and flying by quicker and quicker.  I hope you all had lovely Valentines day.  There is no hoopla here for the holiday, they know what it is but don't really celebrate it.  It was kind of refreshing.  Bueno,  hasta luego!

love
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment