Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New names and faces.

Well I made it to Spain in one piece!  My flights went so smooth I almost can't believe it.  Everything was on time and everything.  On my flight to Madrid I connected with a couple of students also teaching with CIEE who were also from Minnesota.  That initial feeling of being completely alone vanished when I met them, and we braved the rest of the journey together, although there was not much to endure.  We were a little nervous that we wouldn't make our connecting flight to Sevilla after landing in Madrid.  It was 7:45, we weren't even off the plane yet and our flight left at 8:45.  We got off the plane and the sign to our next gate read 28 minutes away.  Madrid is by far the largest airport i've ever been in!  We were literally running through the airport to get to our gate.  We breezed through customs and cleared security with no problem.  We arrived at the gate just in time to catch our flight.  It was a big relief when I sat in that seat.  Good thing too because we later found out that a few people missed their flight in Madrid and had to wait there for 11 hours!

Orientation has started and I've met everyone who will be teaching in Huelva. There are 54 people in my orientation and remembering names is just always a struggle.  So I am really just focusing on remembering those of my fellow Huelva teachers. They all seem very nice, but I guess you can never tell the first day.  The first night we had a welcome cocktail where they had tons of food and kept the wine flowing,  I could get use to it.  Also the first song I heard while in Spain, on the bus to orientation was Kesha (tic tock).  Maybe Spain won't be so different after all :)  Now if only they have ranch dressing and Macaroni and Cheese.  The next 3 days are just going to be packed with orientation lecture stuff.  How to find places to live, how to get our ID, how to... everything we need for our 8 months here.  Now I feel like I can't complain because several people I know are in crazy Africa and basically on the Equator, but it is really hot in Sevilla!  101 degrees in the sun this afternoon.  And it is just not very pleasant to walk around a bustling city in that heat.  I can't wait to get to Huelva and hit the beach, which i've heard are amazing.  Well thats it for now, I leave Friday for Huelva where hopefully in that week i'll find my own place to live!  And I mean I have to in that week or i'll be living under a bridge.  I'm very excited to get that taken care of and get settled.

Besos
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment