Friday, November 5, 2010

The adventure continues

I realize it has been a while since my last post, and that would be, you guessed it, STILL no internet.  I will now explain our situation to everyone who my lack of internet has effected.  We have been to every phone store in Huelva and we get the same response at each.  To get internet strong enough to use skype we need to sign at least a 12 month contract for wifi.  This not being our best option we have continued our search.  We also tried reaching out to our landlord.  Asking him if he would perhaps sign the contract, then he can have wireless in the piso for the next people who move in.  But he lives an hour outside the city and refused to come in.  He is not a very good landlord, the window in our bathroom will not close either.  I created a makeshift fix with the rope that was sent in my package (thanks dad!)  We had internet last month because we bough the portable internet you plug into you USB.  It worked pretty well for skype at first, but then we used up all the megabites, or whatever the computer lingo is, I don't really understand it.  So after our month was up we went to recharge it and of course the company was having problems and we couldn't.  Then my roommate heard about this company that you could set up wifi by paying monthly, so she called them and they are scheduled to come next week to install it, but it's Spain so I give it 2-3 weeks before we actually have it working.  In the mean time I have been going to a friend's house and the library to use internet, and occasionally I can steal a tiny bar from the neighbors.  So thats the deal, hopefully it will be solved soon, so just bare with me.

Anyways school continues to go fairly well.  I say fairly because I had a rough day this past Wednesday.    One of the bilingual teachers at our school has been sick for the last 2 1/2 weeks, and I've been filling it for her in a sense for that time.  I'm not allowed to be alone with the kids, so their teacher is in the classroom with us, but literally just sits in the back and does nothing.  So I am basically another teacher at this school.  I'm with the 6th graders often and I have a group of boys that will not listen to me.  Wednesday was the worst.  They kept asking me to go to the bathroom every 10 seconds and I would say no but they wouldn't back down.  And they just talk and talk and talk.  It's because they don't understand what we are doing and most of them forget their work book everyday.  And the teacher just sits there and does nothing but watch me struggle.  Same with the 3rd graders,  after every single thing we do the class turns to caos, and the teacher just watches me attempt, without success, to get them to settle down.  It was awful.  I've been realizing now the reasons I never want to be a teacher.  Since i've worked with kids so much people often ask me why I don't want to be a teacher.  Well now I know.  When I've worked with kids it's always been in a fun relaxed setting.  I can be their friend, we can have fun, joke around, be silly.  But that can't happen in a class room.  I'm no good at discipline.  That group of 6th grade boys would be my favorite if this was Park and Rec.  I don't stand up well as an authority figure.  Maybe I started out too soft and now they think I'm a push over, but it's just not my style to be tough on kids.  I'm no good at it, and I don't enjoy it.  So this whole teaching thing as been such a learning experience for me.  I really have to learn how interact differently with the kids.

Last weekend was Halloween, and while it is not a Spanish holiday, some do celebrate it.  It's funny though because in the states kids dress up and anything.  A cheerleader, mickey mouse, a football player, here all costumes are Halloween related.  Everyone is either a ghost or witch or vampire ext.  I went out true Spanish style and didn't get home until it was light outside.  It was a fun night.  Other than that life continues to chug along.  I have somewhat of a routine in my life now which is nice.  The weather continues to be great.  I've been in short sleeves all week.  Well that is all for now, stay warm everyone in Minnesota, I miss you!

Un besito
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment