Sunday, November 28, 2010

Good friends, good food, GREAT times!

Well after 10 buses and 2 plane rides, I've made it back from Barcelona safe and sound.  But before I jump into my weekend in Barcelona I would like to rewind for a minute.  I did not get a chance to blog last week because I was so busy getting ready for the trip and with school and whatnot.  But I had a very memorable weekend last weekend and It should not be over looked.  I had my first visitor to Huelva!  The wonderful Julia Shultz (a fellow Gustie who is also here in Spain student teaching)  made the trip over to the Huelv to spend the weekend with me.  It was so amazing to see a familiar face and to shower her around what is truly becoming my city. We spend the weekend catching up, having coffee, walking around the centro, eating tapas and of course going out Spanish style.  It was a great weekend and I'm so happy I got to see her while she is in Spain.  That whole week was just a great one in general.  I tutor one of the teachers at my school and the hour we spend talking in English she showed me the map of the bus lines here in Huelva and which ones are the good ones, and closest ones to my house and the places I need to go (like places I tutor, the center, the bus station ext.)  So I learned, and successfully took the bus last week! It is not necessarily faster, but my feet sure are a lot happier. School has continued to be great.  I'm much happier being a regular teacher's assistant and not teaching my own classes.  I got to go to on a field trip to the movies with my class and help out with the Christmas play some more.   It was a great week/weekend.

Now to Barcelona.  I was a bit nervous at the start of my trip.  I've never had to travel alone alone to anywhere before, with really just an idea of how to get where I needed to be.  Our group was going to stay in Barcelona together, but we all had to get there on my own.  I had to get to Sevilla and then to the airport and then to the apartment we were staying on my own.  Well let me just say, traveling here is possible, but it is not quick and convenient.  I took a bus from my piso to the bus station, from Huelva to Sevilla, from the bus station in Sevilla to another stop in Sevilla.  From there I had to take the airport bus to the airport to get my flight.  I was proud I made it successfully with time to spare.  Then I flew on an air plane where we were packed on there like pickles, it will catch on, (thank you to anyone who knows that reference) and hour and a half to Barcelona.  Seriously if you thought regular American Airline planes were bad just try flying some the airlines over here.  You literally have zero room, the seats are so close together.  But I made it so no worries.  Then I had to take another bus from the airport to a stop in Barce where I finally met up with the rest of the group and went to the apartment we would be staying at.  5 buses in total, and one flight.  However the whole hassle was worth it.  Barcelona is an amazing city!  I was there when I was 16 but remember almost nothing about it, except the beach which of course was not an option this time of year.  We spent 2 full days walking around and seeing everything we could see.  We saw lots of Gaudi architecture (parks, buildings ext.),  La Sagrada Familia, La Rambla, and the Gothic district.  We walked to the Cathedral, the port and the Olympic stadium.  We ate delicious tapas, drank sangria and our favorite of all, the famous grofres with helado, or waffles and ice cream.  They were delicious!  And the one of the coolest things by far was the the light fountain.  At night there is a light show played to music and it is absolutely spectacular.  It is in front of this beautiful cathedral looking building, which also has beautifully lit waterfalls cascading down the front.  And the best part is, they have escalators you can take to the top.  The architecture of this city is truly amazing, unlike anything I've ever seen before.  Apart for the amazing city I got to see a good friend of mine, Cameron Smith.  A friendship that started in Chile and has lasted through almost 2 and half years and 3 different continents.  It was really great to see him again, along with meet other new friends.  It truly was a wonderful weekend.  But like any great trip it goes too fast and you always want more time.  But this morning I had to start the bus, plane, bus process all over again. So I headed back home and like I said, 10 buses and 2 plane rides later here I am, safe and sound.  Enjoying the comfort of my couch and letting my feet rest.  It was quite the adventure and I must say I'm proud of myself for figuring it all out and am excited for my next traveling adventure.  Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving, I missed you all (and the food) so very much.  Until next time, lots of love.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment